Considerations When Choosing Your Executor in Chester County, PA
Posted on Fri Oct 3, 2014, on Estate Planning
From our “Ask a Question” Mailbag: What is the process for choosing your executor in Chester County, PA? Do you have any suggestions?
Most recently updated July 8, 2018.
The Importance of Choosing Your Executor in Chester County.
Like most jobs, picking the right person for the task will determine if the project is a success or a failure. When it comes to choosing your executor, consider the tasks. At your death, people don’t just come and take your things. There is a process. You are replaced in this process by the executor. Your executor takes your death certificate, the original copy of your will, a checkbook and an ID card to the Chester County Register of Wills Office. If all is in order, the Register will swear in the executor of your estate. He or she receives paperwork which the world will recognize, giving the executor authority to manage your assets.
Who can serve as an executor?
Anyone over the age 18 may serve as your executor.
What are the executor’s responsibilities?
Estates vary, but here are some of the common tasks your executor must accomplish:
- Make your final arrangements. This includes paying for the funeral and your internment.
- Obtaining your death certificate and filing your will.
- Filing your final personal income tax returns. Further, preparing and filing the Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax Return. If your estate is large enough, there may also be a Federal Estate Tax Return.
- Distributing or selling off your assets. If you have a unique item, such as a business, then your executor should have the skill set to oversee such a sale.
- Working with your heirs to divide up personal property.
- Paying for any necessary property appraisals.
- Securing assets from theft.
- Addressing creditor claims.
- Making final distributions.
More Planning Questions?
Choosing your executor in Chester County is only a piece of the Estate Planning process. By all means, if you want to learn more, please read my more detailed article, Estate Planning Everything You Need to Know.
In Conclusion: Helpful ideas when choosing your executor in Chester County, PA
I hope that this article was helpful in explaining the importance of choosing your executor in Chester County. Further, I included links to even more detailed information on my website so you can learn more. Therefore, please contact me and let me know how I did. Certainly, your comments and questions are welcome!
Let our Estate Planning lawyers help walk you through what can be a confusing process. To begin with, call to speak to one of our experienced estate planning lawyers. By all means, our lawyers are ready to answer your questions. In fact, feel free to contact our office for a free consultation. Ultimately our goal is to make the process as painless as possible!
Wills, Trusts, Probate, and Estate Litigation, It’s All We Do!
Tags:Chester County, Estate Plan, Estate Planning, Estate Planning Attorney, Estate Planning Lawyer, Executor, Pennsylvania