Klenk Law

Proper Place to File a Will After Death

Posted on Sat Oct 17, 2015, on Probate and Estate Administration

From our “Ask a Question” Mailbag: Proper Place to File a Will After Death

Most Recently Updated July 21, 2018.

“My mother was a Florida resident, but died in Philadelphia. Where do I file her will?”

Proper Place to File a Will After Death

Proper Place to File a Will After Death

That will depend on what her death certificate says. If the death certificate says her residence was Florida, then only the Surrogate in Florida will probate the will. Likewise, if the death certificate says her residence was Philadelphia, then only the Philadelphia Register of Wills will probate the will. If your mother was only visiting Philadelphia when she died, then she was still a Florida resident. If she had moved up here and then died, then she is Philadelphia resident.

If the information was filled out incorrectly on the death certificate, and you did not catch the error until after the funeral director sent in the death certificate, it can be corrected by petition though the Department of Vital Records.

More Probate Questions?

Where to file a will is only part of the overall probate process. By all means, if you wish to learn more, please read my more detailed article, The Probate Process All You Need to Know.

In Conclusion: Proper Place to File a Will After Death

I hope that this article was helpful in explaining where to file a will. Further, I included links to even more detailed information on my website. Therefore, please contact me and let me know how I did. Certainly, your comments and questions are welcome!

Let our Probate Lawyers help walk you through what can be a confusing process. To begin with, call to speak to one of our experienced Probate Attorneys.  By all means, our lawyers are ready to answer your questions. In fact, feel free to contact our office for a free consultation. Ultimately our goal is to make the process as painless as possible!

Wills, Trusts, Probate, and Estate Litigation, It’s All We Do


Florida, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Probate, Probate Attorney, Probate Lawyer

Let us put our expertise to work for you.

Free consultation within 24 hours.