Skip to Content

We are a Veteran Owned Business, providing 20% discounts for Veterans, First Responders, Elementary and High School teachers. Please contact us to set up a phone or Zoom meeting. Taking care of you and your family, It's What We Do!

Who Receives What Remains In the Special Needs Trust at My Son’s Death?

Posted on Mon Sep 26, 2016, on Special Needs Trust

From our “Ask a Question” Mailbag: Special Needs Trust Remainder Beneficiary

Most Recently Updated August 9, 2018.

“At my son’s death, can I decide who receives any remaining money in the Special Needs Trust?  I want to set up a Special Needs Trust for my son in my Will.  But, when he dies, can my daughter receive what money remains?”


Special Needs Trust Remainder Beneficiary

First, let me commend you on setting up the Special Needs Trust for your son in your Will.  Planning will give you peace of mind, and critical protection for your child.  If correctly drafted, your Special Needs Trust will provide for your son’s care while allowing him to qualify for needs-based government benefits.  Benefits such as Medicaid can be vital to his well-being.

A Third Party Special Needs Trust Allows You to Pick Who Receives the Remainder at the Beneficiary’s Death.

A Special Needs Trust that you create using your money is called a Third Party Special Needs Trust. “Third Party” indicates that the Special Needs Person has not created the Trust using his money.  When a Special Needs Person creates a Special Needs Trust using his money, it is called a “First Party” Special Needs Trust.  For more information about the various types of Special Needs Trusts, read more.

You have no legal obligation to leave your son any inheritance. This fact allows you great flexibility in creating your Special Needs Trust. If you don’t have to leave him any funds, then any limitations you choose to place on those funds is outside of his control, and the funds are not counted as his. Certain terms must exist for your trust to qualify as a Third Party Special Needs Trust. These conditions allow your son to benefit from the trust while qualifying for his needs-based government benefits. But after satisfying those terms, you are free to decide many aspects of the trust including dictating who receives any money in the trust at your son’s death.

Have the Remaining Funds Pass Into a Protective Trust for Your Daughter.  Protect the Assets From her Divorce and Creditors.

You have great flexibility in deciding who and how the remaining funds pass at your son’s death.  For example, you could say that whatever remains passes outright to your daughter.  But, if you do, then those funds will be available to your daughter’s creditors or become embroiled in a failed marriage.  Instead, you could have the Special Needs Trust pour into a different, more flexible trust at your son’s death.  Think of this as a protective wall around the inheritance sheltering her. You may grant her broad use of trust funds, but deny her future spouse from accessing the assets in a divorce.

A Third Party Special Needs Trust can be a flexible document, providing protection not only to your Special Needs Child but also to the rest of your family. Take the time to investigate all the options available to you.

For More Special Needs Trust Information:

For more information see my Article Special Needs Trusts: Everything You Need to Know.

More Planning Questions?

Special Needs Trust Remainder Beneficiary is only a piece of the Estate Planning process. By all means, if you want to learn more, please read my more detailed article, Estate Planning Everything You Need to Know.

In Conclusion: Special Needs Trust Remainder Beneficiary

I hope that this article was helpful in explaining Special Needs Trust Remainder Beneficiary. Further, I included links to even more detailed information on my website so you can learn more. Therefore, please contact me and let me know how I did. Certainly, your comments and questions are welcome!

Let our Estate Planning lawyers help walk you through what can be a confusing process. To begin with, call to speak to one of our experienced estate planning lawyers.  By all means, our lawyers are ready to answer your questions. In fact, feel free to contact our office for a free consultation. Ultimately our goal is to make the process as painless as possible!

Wills, Trusts, Probate, and Estate Litigation, It’s All We Do!


Estate Planning, Irrevocable Trust, Special Needs, Special Needs Child, Special Needs Estate Planning, Special Needs Planning Attorney, Special Needs Planning Lawyer, Special Needs Trust, Trusts

Peter KlenkPeter Klenk

What Our clients are saying

Klenk Law Logo

Peter G.

Very knowledgeable! Peter Klenk always has a thorough answer, and the associates have more experience than you'll find at most firms. They really only do estate work.

Klenk Law Logo

A Google User

Peter is a model attorney who puts his clients first at all costs. His extensive expertise in estate planning and tax planning was a great comfort as we began, and have expanded, our family. He is very thoughtful, generous, and quick witted. His approach towards his business has been an inspiration to his peer group, and his zest for life is extremely infectious. Without reservation, I highly recommend Peter as trusted and cherished counsel

Klenk Law Logo

Linda F.

I'm totally satisfied with Klenk Law. Peter has a great legal mind with the personality of the guy next door.

Klenk Law Logo

Dylan Small

Peter provided outstanding advice and preparation of a will and trusts.

Klenk Law Logo

Andrea Wilson

Peter is excellent. I had a very complicated situation with my parents' estate planning and potential Medicaid needs. Peter was very knowledgeable in estate planning matters, able to define the best solution for the situation. Additionally, he was congenial and able to communicate effectively to my senior citizen parents the benefits of estate planning. He earned my trust, and more importantly, my parents' trust in a 45 mins consultation period. Highly recommend Peter. He is very easy to work with.

Let us put our expertise to work for you.

Free consultation within 24 hours.